Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Natural

I have been down with a sinus infection for the past few days.  Friday night I watched a war movie.  Saturday I watched a war movie, but it was a different war.  Last night I couldn't sleep so it was Jane Austen's turn.  "Persuasion" did the trick.  I only made it half way through. 

This morning I got up feeling groggy and sore from no sleep and coughing.  I made it to the recliner and turned on the tv.  On one of the weirdo channels I rarely watch "The Natural" was playing.  It had already started, but since I've seen it at least 45 times it didn't matter.  It was right at the part where Roy Hobbs struck out "The Whammer" on three pitches.  I couldn't change the channel.

I love baseball.  But I don't keep up with it like I use to.  There's just too much going on for me, but when playoff time rolls around I catch as many games as I can. This movie is the perfect one to get one in the mood for fall baseball!!

The wardrobe is amazing.  The characters are interesting.  The music is unbelievable!  Robert Redford couldn't have been more perfect for the role of the aging ball player.  When I say I seen it 45 times it could be a low guess.  It came out in 1984.  I purchased the vhs tape probably in 1986 or so.  I can't bring myself to part with it. 

When Roy steps up to the plate that last time I sit there wondering if he's gonna strike out again.  He's bleeding.....he's weak.....he's using a different bat for crying in a bucket!  He swings.....he connects......the ball hits the lights!   I get chills and choke up every time!!!  And then he rounds the bases to the cheers of the crowd and his teammates and me!  I love this movie!!!!!

And so the question of the day..........Where's my Roy Hobbs?????

3 comments:

  1. haha!! Maybe running bases somewhere? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, your comment totally cracked me up just now. :)

    Love your writing, Alicia. You should do more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it was on and could take you out of your sinus infection....hope you are better now!

    ReplyDelete